Friday, December 10, 2010

Foody Friday - Easiest Ever Yeast Bread

I found this bread recipe on Country Girls' blog a few weeks ago. I tell ya, she always has the best and easiest recipes.

Now I've been making bread for a long time now. Quick breads, bread machine breads, old fashioned knead it and rise breads. Even though the breads always get eaten in our house I can't say that anyone, especially my husband, was ever hog wild over any of my homemade breads. Except Yap....he loves when we use banana bread for french toast. But that's about it.

But this bread? This big round loaf was almost entirely devoured by DR the very first day. He loves it! He cuts off a big chunk in the morning for breakfast. In his words it's like a French bread crust, thin and crispy but soft and airy on the inside.

I love it because there is no kneading....none! I barely have to do anything to make this bread....just a little time managment.


Here's the original recipe; check it out because I'm not including all the details here.

In a bowl mix 3 cups flour, 1 1/4 t. salt, 1/4 t. yeast and 1 5/8 c. water. Cover with Saran Wrap and let rise in a warm place for 12-18 hours. (I usually mix this up between noon and 2pm)

After rising (I do this as soon as I get up in the morning, about 6 am) lightly flour a work surface, turn the dough two or three times and cover with Saran Wrap for 15 minutes.

Then add more flour to work surface, enough to prevent dough from sticking, work the dough into a ball. Generously coat towel (not terrycloth) with cornmeal, flour, or bran and place dough seam side down. Cover with another towel and allow to rise for 2 hours.

Heat oven to 450 degrees. (This is about 8:30 am.) Place a 6-8 qt. heavy covered pot (I use a cast iron pot and a glass dish) in oven as it heats. When pot is hot remove carefully from oven and place dough, seam side up, in pot. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake for 15-30 minutes until bread is golden brown. (My breads never take more than 3o minutes total baking time.)

Carefully cut hot bread, slather with butter, don't burn your tongue and enjoy!!

I may never make another type of bread again. Why mess with perfection?

3 comments:

  1. I'm a bread baker from way back too, and I always go for quick and/or easy, so this recipe sounds like it's for me! Thanks for the post and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, sounds fantastic! I'm a *huge* bread eater, but my husband sounds like yours. His absolute favorite bread I make are these dinner rolls

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bread-Machine-Rolls/Detail.aspx

    They're easy too! I'll have to try your recipe on my next off day (so...next year :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Lisa, I'll have to try those out. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails