Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sunday Devotions for Kids - Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful mothers (and grandmothers) out there! Enjoy your day!

God has given us a wonderful gift in our mothers but God has also given us the gift of BEING a mother. Mothers have been given a great responsibility in raising their children. There are so many mothers who seem to raise their children easily. 

The apostle Paul understood, however, that being a mother wasn't a simple task and those who raised their children in the eyes of God should be praised. In  II Timothy 1:5 he writes,  "I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also." Not only did he mention the faith of Timothy's mother Eunice but of his grandmother Lois as well. From this passage it was obvious the love and devotion these women had as they diligently taught Timothy the stories of the Old Testament, the laws of God and the scriptures.  

Being a mother is not easy and sometimes it may be hard to have confidence that we are doing a good job of it! But God loves mothers and he has provided guidance for us in his word.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Or,

"She that bare thee shall rejoice." (Proverbs 22:6.)

"I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths." (Proverbs 4:11.)

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which The Lord your God gives you." (Exodus 20:12 RSV)


I don't know of any better way of honoring my own mother than by hugging her today and telling her thanks for the wonderful job she has done as my mother and the fantastic job she is doing as a grandmother too! Thanks MOM!!

A picture of Mom and Dad with me; 1976


 My mother holding Yahoo when she was less than a day old, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails