Monday, May 3, 2010

Marker Monday - The Letter People

Are you a child of the 80's? I am! I was in kindergarten in 1982 and my teacher taught the alphabet with the letter people. Remember them? Mr. H with his Horrible Hair was my favorite. Who didn't cringe at Mr. R and his Ripping Rubber Bands? And of course the Misses; A, E, I, O, U. I loved Excersicing with Miss E. My mom couldn't figure out how a 5 year old knew the correct use of the word "obstinate".....thanks Miss O.

I had totally forgotten about them until my sister told me about The Letter People Video she found on YouTube. When the boys were learning their letters they loved watching this video. I even find myself singing along...it has some catchy tunes!

Luckily I was able to find this image on the internet of the Letter People. I enlarged it and printed two color copies. The boys and I glued them to the colored side of a cereal box and cut them out after they had dried.

We use them as a memory matching game. Our rule to win your matched pair is to say the name of the letter and the sound it makes. Sometimes we also divide into teams, Yip and Yap vs. Mom, and we race to see who can put the letter people in alphabetical order. 

Learning letters has been much easier and fun for the boys by using the Letter People as inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails