Friday, May 14, 2010

Foody Friday - Nutty Cookies for a bunch of GED Nuts

Last night was my last GED class. Usually, I'm happy to get the semester over with but not so this time. This group of students I had were really fun to work with. They wanted to be there, truly wanted to succeed and were always asking for extra worksheets in addition to their assigned homework. No matter what age of students, these are traits that make it enjoyable to be a teacher. 

To celebrate the last class session before they take the GED test I brought in some cookies. I'm calling these Nutty Cookies and I adapted the recipe from Pioneer Woman's Oatmeal Crispies.


Nutty Cookies

1 c. chopped peanuts
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 heaping t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
3 c. quick oats

Toss peanuts in a freezer bag and smash with the flat side of a meat tenderizer hammer, set aside. Mix butter and sugars till creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients and add to creamy mix. Last add the peanuts and oats and stir till combined. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. I mix up  large batches and freeze in a log shape wrapped in wax paper and cut off in slices to bake. When I bake frozen cookies I usually add a minute or two to the baking time.


These cookies are crunchy and very peanut buttery without using peanut butter. I added cinnamon because I just think everything tastes better with cinnamon. Yum, yum! They were a big hit!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails