Friday, May 21, 2010

Foody Friday - The Ultimate in Wooden Spoons!!



If I were Dorothy and lived in Kansas when a tornado came ripping through, (and believe me, with this spring's weather across the country and us moving to Kansas I've been giving this scenario a lot of thought lately) the one thing I'd grab from my kitchen before sprinting to the basement would be this...


Okay...these....ALL of these!!



These wooden kitchen utensils are made by Whetstone Woodenware which just happens to have two retail stores near where I grew up. They started in 1984 and currently sell their products in history museums all over the country! Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Henry Ford Museum are just a few places you'll find Whetstone Woodenware.

Mom gave me a few of these for my wedding gift and over the years her Christmas and birthday presents have added to my collection. These wooden utensils are wonderful! I don't use anything else anymore; no more metal or plastic. I'm not being a snob or anything. I just like the way the wooden utensils feel. They're sturdy yet soft with a warm, smooth texture.

Scoops for coffee and hot chocolate.

 I use this butter knife all the time; butter, jelly, peanut butter...it works great.

The cookie paddle is thicker than the other utensils
 and strong enough to mix a large batch of cookie dough or meatloaf.

Mixing Paddles. The two small ones on the left  I use a lot to spread things on bread.
The large ones work well for tie dyeing shirts too!

Honestly, I've never used the Bench Knife. I'm just not sure what to do with it!

Mini Rolling Pins. I actually found these at the Indiana State Museum Gift Shop and bought them for the boys to use on play dough or when they help me in the kitchen. I'm really hoping for a large rolling pin for myself some Christmas.....hint, hint Mom!

Every piece is wood burned with their Whetstone Woodenware trademark. Very cool.  

But this, the Pancake Turner is my favorite! I use this all the time!
Pancakes, eggs, hamburgers, cookies...everything!
It's pretty worn on the end and I really need to oil all my wooden utensils. Maybe that would be a good chore for Yip and Yap this afternoon!

So there you go. If my house and all my belongings are blown away by a Kansas tornado, and I'm not over the rainbow, you'll probably find me huddled in the basement clutching my Pancake Turner because I don't think I could cook without it!

1 comment:

  1. These are just too cool. I love my wooden spoons, my favorite being one passed down from my grandmother. I've never seen a wooden pancake turner though. Must look in to getting one of those.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails