Friday, June 25, 2010

Foody Friday - Pita Bread

Have you ever thought about making your own Pita Bread??  Yeah, me neither until I was in charge of a Vacation Bible School craft over the summer when I decided to make hummus with the kids served with pita bread. I cruised the Internet, practiced, made mistakes and now we eat pita bread all the time! The boys actually prefer it to bread.

Makes 10 pockets

1 1/3 c warm water
2T olive oil
1T sugar
1 1/4 t salt
2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/3 c all purpose flour
2 1/2 t yeast

Place ingredients into bread machine and program for DOUGH. When completed, divide into 10 balls and place on baking sheet and cover with a tea towel. Let rise for 20 minutes while oven preheats to 500.

***Flatten puffy balls gently into a 6 inch disk.


After I flatten the balls I flip them over before they go in the oven. Mine had a tendency to stick to the baking sheet if I didn't.


On uppermost oven rack bake for 4 minutes, flip over, and bake for an additional 3 minutes. I have found that different baking sheets affect baking time differently. So watch carefully the first few times you make them to figure out what cooking time works best for you.

Works great for salsa and  eggs...


...or a hamburger bun with Roasted Cabbage. Mmmm..


To make Pita Bread without the Bread Machine

With above ingredients, in a mixing bowl, mix water, sugar and yeast; allow to foam for 3-5 minuters. Add oil and salt, mix well. Mix flours together in separate bowl, add to liquids, mix til well blended. Place dough-ball in a well greased bowl, allow to rise in warm spot until doubled in volume. (I preheat my oven to warm and place covered dough in the oven and then turn it off to allow it to rise.) Continue directions from *** above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails