Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The garden is started and spring is joyous!


We have been so blessed here in Kansas lately. We've had spring rain and Kansas is actually green. Last year I didn't think a green Kansas was even possible and I admit that last summer and the severe drought we were going through was a seriously depressing thing to go through. Of course just because we've had a little rain so far doesn't mean we couldn't use more. I'm still praying for a downpour and no one out here would complain if Kansas flooded! 

With spring and some wonderful warm weather, up in the 80's, we've been itching to start in the garden. But if nothing else the last year I have learned how quickly the weather can change in SW Kansas. It's not uncommon for the temps to drop 20 degrees or more in 24 hours. 


We didn't get the entire garden planted this weekend, we stuck with safe stuff like peas, kale, spinach.


I'll hold off for a couple more weeks before we go any further...just to be safe. On Sunday I was talking to a woman who remembered a blizzard hitting SW Kansas in the 50's in late March that left 15 feet of snow on the Main Street of town!! Unbelievable! 


I'm pretty sure we are safe from that much snow but you never know. The weather today was in the 80's but is supposed to drop the 50's and 60's later in the week with rain (YAY!) No, that white stuff in our garden plot isn't snow but shredded paper DR brought home from work. He figured it might help as mulch. I don't know if it will work, has anyone ever used shredded paper in their gardens?



Spring has sure been pleasant this year, I just hope the good feeling continues. Our yard is full of weeds and these beautiful little flowers. But I have to agree with DR, after last year with barely any rain, when absolutely nothing grew I can't bear to mow anything down that is growing. Even weeds. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are enjoying the garden again. We aren't getting in a hurry because we know we could get bad weather again also. Did mow the yard in the last 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a great spring in the Midwest. I have been scared to plant some new flowers this early, but I think I am going to break down and do it. it was 80 here in Indiana yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails