Friday, April 27, 2012

Foody Friday - Polenta Spinach Mayo Eggs

I've been in an experimenting cooking mood lately, much to the misery of my husband and kids. I made a mushroom soup that I thought turned out fairly well that my family judged as so bad that they DR didn't even try to hide his displeasure. The fact the soup came out looking like tile grout probably didn't help matters...yeah, that's a recipe that will never see the light of day again...and I definitely won't post it here. 

However there are sometimes I can experiment with food and make just enough for me, then I don't have to worry about any complaints. This is my new go to breakfast, Polenta Spinach Mayo Egg. Yum, This is soooo creamy. 


First off, let me tell ya, I hate mayonnaise. I have NEVER liked it...BUT I have always wanted to try and make homemade mayo because I've heard it was kind of tricky. I wanted to make mayo not to eat necessarily but just to see if I could do it. I found an awesome tutorial on making homemade mayonnaise and it worked perfect the very first time! But then I tasted it, oh my, homemade mayo is NOTHING like what you buy in the stores. It's wonderfully creamy and not fluffy. I know, homemade mayo is awful because you are eating raw eggs, well I haven't died yet and I'm not eating it everyday so I think I'll chance it. 

Second, I decided to make Polenta this week, another dish my family doesn't care for. I boil cornmeal in broth and then add Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and a bit of salt. Then I pour it in a bread pan and let it sit overnight, then slice it up. 

At first I was just frying up a slice of polenta and an egg for breakfast but then I had a brain flash! (some I know call it a brain fart) When the egg and polenta was fried I threw some spinach on the polenta, put the egg on the spinach, threw on the lid just enough to wilt the spinach and then slapped it all on a plate. Finally, I topped it off with homemade mayonnaise with a bit of dill seed mixed in. 

Yum yum yum de yum yum. 

Who said playing with your food is bad?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails