Friday, April 6, 2012

Foody Friday - Homemade Chicken Alfredo

I love homemade sauces..and I love them even more now that I'm finally learning how to make them :)
The first time I ever tried to make a cheese sauce it turned into a gigantic pot of lumpy goo. 

But I'm getting better!
 (Here's a great site with tips on how to make a cheese sauce. After reading this, I got it right the very first time!)

This Chicken Alfredo came from Chicken Recipes to Die For. Really, this one wasn't hard at all either. 


Chicken Alfredo

mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 large chicken breasts, cut into cubes
fettuccine pasta or egg noodles
3/4 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
5 T butter
1 T olive oil
clove of garlic, chopped
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 T flour
parsley, salt and pepper

Add the olive oil and 1T butter to pan on medium heat. When pan is hot add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt, then cook for 3-4 minutes per sides until brown. While the mushrooms are cooking bring a pot of water to boil. 

Set aside mushrooms and add chopped garlic to frying pan. cook gently for about a minute, then add chicken cubes. Stir so chicken cooks on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set with mushrooms. Boil the pasta in the pot. 

Add the rest of the butter to frying pan on medium to low heat and when butter has started to melt, add the cream and milk stirring continuously. Slowly sprinkle in the flour while continuing to stir. The sauce should start to thicken after about 5 minutes at which point add the Parmesan cheese and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste and add the chopped parsley. Stir in the cooked chicken and mushrooms to the sauce, and simmer gently until the chicken and mushrooms are warmed through. Serve on top of pasta.


DR has started requesting that I include his "star rating" on the foods. I didn't get a chance to ask how he liked it before I posted but considering he had two bowls of it for lunch today, I guess he rates it fairly well. 

My kids on the other hand.....in their eyes, sauce of any kind is tainting the pure wonder that is pasta! Eh, they'll grow out of that someday...until then they'll just have to suffer my cooking. 

Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails