Friday, April 20, 2012

Foody Friday - Monkey Butter



I found a recipe for Monkey Butter on Pinterest and with a name like that I couldn't help but try it out. 

MONKEY BUTTER (makes 5 cups)
5 medium-size perfectly ripe bananas (no brown spots)
 2 1/2 cups or 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple (I used diced), not drained. 
1/4 cup coconut (I prefer ground coconut)
3 cups of white sugar 
3 Tbsp lemon juice (use bottled for uniform acidity)
Peel and slice bananas, then add all ingredients to a heavy saucepan.
Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until thick.  As the mixture thickens, stir constantly until desired thickness is achieved.
When thick, spoon mixture immediately into hot sterilized jars, apply heated lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.



I probably was a bit conservative with the heat, I kept it fairly low and it took  over an hour of boiling until it was ready to put in the jars. 


But it was worth it and so very good. 
It's just like banana jelly! Yahoo enjoys licking it off the bread, Yip thought it was pretty yummy and Yap won't touch it but then again he doesn't eat jelly at all. I think it got a 3 or 4 stars. 


I have never made or canned any sort of jelly before this. Despite the hour worth of stirring atop the stove making jelly wasn't as difficult as I thought. All my cans sealed which is always a good sign. I think I'd like to try this again and add some other tropical fruits to the mix like mangoes or orange juice. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, but I would leave out the coconut! Yummy..!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails