Friday, October 21, 2011

Foody Friday; I HATE COOKING.....

.....for kids!! 


I love cooking. I love experimenting with different ingredients and flavors. I'm even open to failure in the kitchen! It's a learning experience. 
But lately, I've hated the mere thought of cooking dinner. No matter what recipe or new ingredients I have to try I hear the same complaints every evening. 


I don't like my food all mixed together. (Cross casseroles and soup off the dinner idea list.)


Or, what's that little green stuff all over the place? (It's parsley and it won't kill you!!)


Does this have onions in it?? GROSS!!! (GGGRRRR!!!)


I've even tried finding new "kid friendly" recipes; those are a giant fail too! The only meal that is a complete success with ALL my kids are eggs, bacon and pasta....all plain, nothing added. No condiments, no seasonings, no sauces. 


Can you say boring?? 


I've made my kids eat new dishes and coerced, threatened, begged...but I'm losing the will to fight the dinner battle! 


So although I've tried to keep my Friday blog posts for a new recipe I'd tried during the week, this week has been a total loss. I haven't found anything lately that is new and acceptable to me AND my kids. And I don't have the sanity to cook two different meals every night, ain't gonna happen! 


And I can't eat macaroni and hot dogs for the rest of my life!!!


Any ideas?? Any way to fix a dinner that isn't the same old thing but my kids AND I are both excited to come to the table? Give me tricks!! Because I'm at a loss. 


Sincerely yours, 
Prairie Mother 
(who's on the verge of burning every cookbook in her kitchen!) 


7 comments:

  1. Kids are crazy like that...Jaya loves meatloaf and really isn't that picky...Neela on the other hand could live off macaroni and pop tarts! Sometimes we just give in and make dinner for ourselves and give them what every they want so at least they are eating...it's tough though! Hang in there, one day they will beg for you to cook for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've gone through that before. If their complaining gets bad we send them to their room for the remainder of our dinnertime. When we are all done eating they are welcome to come and eat their dinner (warmed up of course) alone, because if they can't be polite at the dinner table then they can eat when we are done. If they choose not to eat later, then they go hungry. Usually does the trick to stop the rude complaints for quite a while.

    Now, we are easier on them if it is truly a weird food item, but rude complaints is just not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement ladies. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Tonight is Beef Stroganoff (cringe) lots of stuff mixed together. I'll try being tougher Abby and see how it goes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a tough one. Our rules: You have to try it, and you have to take your vitamins. I'm sure thats not the best advice you've received, but its realistic. Oh and never get in the habbit of making something different. They will eat tonight, or they will eat in the morning,but they won't starve.

    Kasse D.
    Rural Women Rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say I am right there with you! Especially at this time of year! OYE! If the girls want to eat Nutella and PB or hotdogs for supper, they had better like it because I don't have the time or energy to think of something else other than what I fixed. SERIOUSLY! They take all the fun out of cooking!

    To top it all off, I made oatmeal cookies the other day, and instead of trying a new recipe, pulled out my mother-in-law's to make my hubby happy. His response: "They are really good hun, but not quite like Mom's' SERIOUSLY!?!?!?

    That's when I truly threatened to quit the kitchen! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails