Friday, October 14, 2011

Foody Friday - Homemade Nutella or Chocolate Peanut Butter


My son Yip is in love with Nutella. He'd eat it everyday if I let him.
Not Yap though. I swear, the only foods both my boys like are apples and pasta.
You'd think they'd have a bit more in common being twins and all. Nope, they are about as different as night and day.

Anyway, the last time we went grocery shopping I forgot to buy Nutella. Oh the tragedy!! Our tiny grocery store down the street doesn't carry Nutella but Yip and I thought we'd try to make our own version. I found lots of versions online that included roasting nuts and cooking on the stove top. I don't have that kind of time so we improvised. Nutella is made with hazelnuts, no luck finding those either, so we used peanuts.




Chocolate Peanut Butter

4 cups peanuts (I used raw)
1/2 c. powdered milk
1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 c. honey
1-2 T vegetable oil

Process peanuts in food processor until the oil releases and it forms a ball around the blades.

Add the powdered milk, cocoa and honey and process until mixed thoroughly. The butter will be pretty thick. Add a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil to thin it out. Makes roughly 3 cups. Store in refrigerator and stir up before using.

If you don't have powdered milk I would suggest mixing the nuts, cocoa and honey together, then leaving out the oil and adding milk slowly until the desired consistency is achieved. That's what I'm going to try next time.


Yip thought the home made version was alright for now, but he's already made sure I added Nutella to my shopping list. I, on the other hand, am addicted. I'm pretty sure I've eaten most of this batch on my own.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmm....My Kendal LOVES this stuff. I will keep this recipe on hand for future emergencies! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails