Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Devotions - Just Enough

...give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?" Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of myu God. Proverbs 30: 8-9

I was in the checkout line at WalMart the other day when I noticed one of the tabloids featuring a socialite sporting a 2 million dollar engagement ring. What a rock!

I started thinking how nice it would be to have that much money. I could get a bigger house, pay off college before it even starts, hire a housekeeper, go on a huge shopping spree. I could build myself a huge studio to paint all day and hire a nanny. All that money would be nice but would it really be worth it? Would I be able to keep my feet on earth being rich or would I tend to get too big for my britches? Would I forget that God is the One he blesses me with all I have; be it great or small?

King David had it figured out. In Proverbs he asks "give me neither poverty or riches." Some people and celebrities can handle great riches with ease and grace. Oprah, for example, has been able to help many with her wealth. Yet others have done great things with very little 'stuff'. Mother Theresa  owned virtually nothing. Possessions meant nothing to her. I once read that after she had won the Nobel Peace Prize that she laid it down  at a dinner afterwards and forgot about it. But look at the generosity and caring she shared with everyone she encountered!

God knows what we need and what we can handle. He knows where the delicate balance needs to be between poverty and riches at various stages of our lives. It doesn't matter what we have, great or little, but what we do with those resources, whether they are material or talents.

Dear Heavenly Father, Like King David, I ask you to give me neither poverty nor riches but the balance in between. Teach me to be a good steward of those resources which I am blessed with. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This truly speaks to me and thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails