Monday, August 16, 2010

Marker Monday - Egg Carton Chimes

Before we left Illinois, the boys and I made wind chimes out of egg cartons.


First, we used some leftover gold spray paint from our bike baskets to paint the bottoms of some cardboard egg cartons. Fancy shmancy gold!

Then we poked holes in the bottom of each egg cup with a yarn needle. A nail or a sharp pencil would probably work too.


After the paint was dry we cut apart the egg cups and tossed them in the pile with the bells we picked up in the WalMart craft department.


We tied a heavy knot at the bottom of a long string and started with a bell and then strung on an egg cup.


Another bell, another cup,...bell, cup, bell, cup...you get the idea.


When they were all strung together the edges were rough and unpainted where we had cut them so we just hung them up outside and spray painted them again to touch up those unsightly edges. The bells are hidden nicely but aren't tucked in so tight they can't make a sound.


The chimes are now on the boys bedroom and bathroom doors and make a nice soft sound, not annoying at all!

I can't take all the credit for this idea. I saw it somewhere on the Internet but for the life of me I can't find that site again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails