Friday, August 13, 2010

Foody Friday - Cornmeal Pie and Cornmeal Brownies.

Hey, I know what you are thinking...cornmeal pie??? Cornmeal brownies?? That just doesn't sound right at all. Trust me!! This. Was. Awesome.


Doesn't that look just wonderful? Mmmmm...you are lucky I got a picture taken. This cornmeal pie went quick! I found the recipe here and was intrigued and knew I had to try it out.

Cornmeal Pie

2 unbaked pie shells
1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
8 T cornmeal
3 T flour
1 c. milk
chopped nuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients (except nuts) in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 3 minutes. Mix will thicken. Add nuts if desired. Pour into pie shells an bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes until insterted toothpick comes out clean.

Good thing my kids liked this pie because I came seriously close to eating the whole thing myself! I love how thick and solid this pie was. It was almost like a cake or brownie... hmmm....a cornmeal brownie? Interesting concept.





Cornmeal Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting

Follow recipe above for filling and pour into a cake pan. Bake at 375 degrees til toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.

Frosting

4 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
1/8 c. butter (room temp)
1/2 t vanilla
2 c. powered sugar
1/4 c. peanut butter (I used chunky)
splash of milk

Mix all ingredients with electric mixture. Add more milk or powdered sugar to obtain correct consistency.

It may seem like a strange combination but these are so good! It has a subtle nutty flavor. Try it, you won't be disappointed! Okay, you might be disappointed, like me, and you eat the whole pan yourself and can't zip up your jeans. Sorry...I warned you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails