Monday, May 9, 2011

Marker Monday - Teacher Thank You Gift

My kids only have 3 1/2 more days of school! I can't believe how fast the school year has gone by! I know many schools though that still have many weeks to go. Hang in there.

In the meantime maybe you can make use of this project I made as a Thank You for the boys' kindergarten teacher. Last week I stumbled across these printable flashcards for Teacher Appreciation Week.

Teacher Appreciation Gift: Teacher Flash Cards

How cute! And Marlynn at Urban Bliss even provides a free download for your computer! Sweet!

I quickly downloaded them over the weekend but darn! I didn't have any more color ink in my printer. Hmm, what to do? I had to get these to Yip and Yap's teacher this week and didn't have time to run to Office Depot for more ink. But I printed it off on some card stock anyway.

Huh, shades of gray reminds me of a chalkboard. I can work with this.
So I scrounged through the craft cabinet and found some scrap booking papers.



I cut out an R and used it as a pattern. I left about 1/4" border around the card and added a tab on the right about 1/2" wide. Then I folded the scrap booking paper and traced and cut my pattern. So unfolded it looks like a tent, the yellow flower paper above, and folded it's a rectangle with a tab on the right.  I cut a total of 8 of these. Yes, there are only 7 letters in TEACHER but Marlynn added an 8th card with a message for the teacher.

Then I began to assemble. I took the first pattern and glued the two sides together. Glue sticks work the best.  


Then I placed the tab of the first square inside the second square and glued them together.
And I kept repeating this until I had all 8 lined up and glued together. (I used a ruler to check my straightness with every rectangle) 



The last rectangle I didn't need the tab so I simply cut it off.


While my rectangles were drying I cut out the flashcards right along the gray edge and then glued them on. One on each rectangle.


Once everything was dry I folded between the letters and stood it up like an accordion.


For the final touch I folded it all up and wrapped it with a ribbon.


I would have liked to have printed this off in color but I think it turned out nicely in gray scale. Hopefully the boys' teacher doesn't mind a little homemade gift as a thank you for all the wonderful things she's done this year.

Hope the end of your school year is pleasant and comes quickly!


1 comment:

  1. I love it! I think I like yours better than the original. The gray with the colors behind is really sharp.
    So can you humor me, I'm nice...I just have a mutation on my craft gene that makes me want to be crafy but without the actual ability to be crafty. What is booking paper?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails