Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Fever and Memories of Horse Dancing

Are you sucked in to the Olympics yet? 
We sure are! It's been a lot of fun explaining to my almost 8 year old boys what the Olympics are all about. Every evening we've been sitting down on the computer and hitting the highlight videos here. My boys enjoy picking which sports they want to watch and mostly they've either chosen shooting (rifle, archery, skeet) or gymnastics. Who can blame them? Guns, bows and arrows and some really impressive feats of strength and agility in those gymnasts!! 



DR though has been getting pretty tired of watching endless gymnastics. "Gymnastics again??" he asked just the other night. 
"Well" I replied, "at least it's better than horse dancing!




Didn't you know that horse dancing is an Olympic sport?? It IS!!! 
Granted it's not one of those sports that get's a lot of television coverage, in fact, NBC this event at 3am in the morning. And 8 years ago I watched A LOT of horse dancing! (I just learned they call it Dressage) 

Yes, 8 summers ago my twin boys were born right in the middle of the Olympics. Honestly, that summer I wasn't following the Olympics at all. I was doing everything I could to get two babies born! I had grown out of practically all my maternity clothes and I was miserable from being pregnant all summer. Praise the Lord when my two boys decided to finally arrive at the end of August! 

As you mothers out there surely know giving birth isn't a 9 to 5 job. My sister, mom and I were up in the wee hours of the morning, bored and waiting for my husband (that's a whole other story) so I flipped on the television at 3 am and yes, there was Olympic Horse Dancing on. At this point in my hospital stay I needed any diversion I could find to help me from stressing out more than I already was. Horse dancing...now that wasn't something I saw everyday! 

The horse and rider has a large rectangular arena where they would perform a routine to music. Horse Dancing didn't have any obstacles to jump, no...the horses just dance to the music. The horses even seemed to enjoy dancing, but what do I know I'm not a horse whisperer or anything. 

Check out this video where the horse dances to hip hop!! 



I wouldn't say Horse Dancing, okay Dressage, is my favorite Olympic event but it's kind of interesting to watch once or twice. 

What's your favorite Olympic event? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails