Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday Devotions - An end to bickering

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit - just as you were called to one hope when you were called - one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 
Ephesians 4: 1-6 


My twin boys basically have the basement of our house to themselves. Our basement consists of their bedroom, a bathroom and a small living area that is filled with toys, books and art supplies. Last summer I remember being at my wits end trying to keep the basement clean. It seemed like in a matter of mere minutes those two boys of mine could create an enormous mess of Legos, papers, and various art projects spread over every available surface! It drove me crazy! I don't mind a few organized piles here and there in my house but I can't stand stuff all over the floor. I spent a lot of last summer, I hate to admit, nagging and yelling that they clean up the basement. 

This summer however I am much more at peace with their messy basement. I've concluded that the basement is their space and their place to be creative, imaginative and independent. Aren't those qualities I want to instill in my kids anyway? I still can't stand the mess though. It isn't so much that I have given in to defeat. No, I just know that they win this battle but I'll win the war at the end. I just keep my visits to the basement at a minimum but what they don't know is I'll be cleaning their basement the first day they are back in school! I tell you, summer is so much less stressful this summer without all the bickering! 

I think that when we come to Christ our lives change in a similar way. A lot of the "battles" we fought before aren't as important anymore. When we truly come to Christ keeping up with the Jones' isn't as important. Maybe it means that the high salary we worked so hard for wasn't as valuable as we made it out to be. Whatever it is, coming to Christ we are shown that our lives aren't about "me against everyone" but "me with everyone".  By living in Christ we realize that we need to live humbly with others in mind; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. It isn't about me (singular) but about us (plural). 

Life is a lot easier after I've quit the bickering about a messy basement, because a messy basement was never about us, as a family, but always about me. 

Dear God, Thanks for reminding me through a messy room that life isn't all about me. But about You and your family in Christ. Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Heather thanks for coming over and thank you for doing your Sunday post as well. It sharpens me- always! Life is so good when we walk in Him/the spirit and such a mess any other way. Wish we were neighbors:) Hope this finds you enjoying your summer.

    Kasse D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying my summer immensely! But boy, is it going by fast!! My kids and I are so enjoying swimming and just all the things that go with summer. Next week is VBS and boy are we excited!!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails