Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Devotions - Love for the Hatemongers


Love for Enemies


 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:43-48


Who doesn't love Facebook? I bet if you are reading this post that you are at least a little bit engulfed by the whole social media thing. It's great isn't it? I mean just this week dozens of my friends wished me happy birthday, I saw a newborn's first photo and I got to see some awesome photos of 4H fairs hundreds of miles away. Facebook can be a great way to celebrate events in my friends lives! 

Sadly though Facebook can also be a forum for negativity. Recently something very negative was directed towards me and some friends of mine by another mutual "friend". My first reaction was anger, revenge, a sense of betrayal. She's supposed to be my friend and she said that!! GGGrrrr....I really wanted to call her up and give her a piece of my mind. 

But I didn't, because it wouldn't have changed anything. Me spreading animosity and anger will never be the solution to hurtful words. Besides I was reminded that although my "friend" was spreading negativity that God still loves her. God loves the just and the unjust. God still loves my friend. God still cares about her well being. And I should too. God loves us all. The good, the bad. The positive, the negative. The just, the unjust. 

I do still love my friend, it's hard, but I do care about her. I've deleted my friend from Facebook because even though I still love my friend I won't put myself into a situation where I'm degraded. There may be a very good chance I'll never talk to this friend again. I've prayed for this friend daily for months and I'll continue to do so because.... she needs it. Once I gave up the idea of "giving her a piece of my mind" and just letting go of the whole situation, I felt a lot calmer in my spirit. 

 Dear Heavenly Father, Life is hard and sometimes people are hard to deal with. Thank You for the words of Your Son to remind me that even though someone has dealt with me unjustly that they are still one of Your children and they are loved. If You can love the unjust Lord then so can I. Please just give me the strength to do so. Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to say that I have not really gotten the liking of facebook !

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails