Friday, January 21, 2011

Foody Friday - Drip Beef

I'm not very confident when it comes to fixing any sort of meat dish. I've learned the simpler, the better and if I can fix meat in a crockpot that's one more advantage I have for a successful dinner. But because I have a brother that thinks I eat too many vegetables and has begged me to feed his nephews and neices more meat...this recipe is for him. (Okay, okay brother, you don't have to add the onions if you don't want to!)

I've modified this recipe from Pioneer Woman's Drip Beef Recipe and seriously I always eat way too much of it. It's just that good.

Prairie Mother's Drip Beef

1 roast (any will work)
salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme
butter
1 onion, diced
mushrooms, sliced and/or diced
soy sauce

Trim the fat off the roast. Sprinkle salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme over the surface of the meat and rub in well. Set aside.

Melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a skillet on high heat. Add the mushrooms. The mushrooms will absorb the butter fairly quickly so stir constantly for a couple minutes until beginning to brown. Remove from skillet and place in crockpot. Melt more butter and add onions, cook until translucent. Remove onions from skillet and add the the crockpot. Add more butter (or olive oil if you feel the need to be healthy) to melt in the skillet on high heat. Sear the outside of the roast on both sides until golden brown. Place roast on top of vegetables in the crockpot. Now, everything that's left in your skillet pour onto the roast. Yummy! Pour soy sauce into crockpot until it's about halfway up the roast. Don't cover with soy sauce! I usually only use about 5 oz. (1/2 bottle). Cook on high setting for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. With two forks shred meat and then stir up to combine the onions and mushrooms. Serve over bread, as a sandwich, on mashed potatoes or eat it with your fingers out of the crockpot. Not that I would ever eat it that way!

2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails