Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Devotions

He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate-bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart. Psalms 104: 14-15

I wouldn't describe our little corner of Kansas as a bustling metropolis. On most evening everyone is off the street by eight in the evening so the sidewalks can rolled up. Our town is pretty quiet. Our corner of Kansas isn't full of luxuries like Starbucks or big movie theaters or lots of shopping plazas. The only thing we have in abundance is grass and cattle.

But our little town does have the basic necessities. Within a five minute walk from my house I have a grocery, hardware, doctor, post office, bank and library. There's nothing big or fancy about any of these businesses but they usually have just what I need.

I've learned that the basics are all I really need to be happy. Even though Starbucks is a nice treat now and then, I don't need it every day in order to find joy.

King David knew this too. In Psalms he tells us man is given wine, oil and bread....the necessities. But beyone those necessities God gives us a gladdened and sustained hart and a shining face. It's not a millioin dollars or Starbucks that we need to bring us joy. It is the basic little things we need and that we are blessed with by God that will make us truly happy. Because with just the basic necessities, and without luxuries to distract us, we can truly focus upon God's Word and His Love.

Dear God, Thank You for the basic gifts of life; wine, oil and bread. Thank You not for riches but for the joy that the "little things" in this world gives me everyday by Your hand. Amen.

2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails