Friday, November 12, 2010

Annette's Amish Oatmeal Bread on Foody Friday

My cousin Annette sent me this wonderful yeast bread recipe that makes three loaves of bread! One problem...it doesn't last more than a couple of days.
This is YUMMY bread and you need to make it today!
I mean, what's better on a cold autumn day than a warm, cozy house filled with the aroma of fresh baked bread.
Mix together 1 c. oats, 3-4 T. butter, 1/2 c. whole wheat flour, 1/2 c. brown sugar, and 1 tsp. salt.
Pour 2 cups boiling water over mixture and cool for 15-20 minutes.
In another bowl mix 5 tsp. of dry yeast in 1/2 c. warm water.
When both are cool, mix together
Add 5 cups of bread or unbleached flour, 1 cup at a time. Knead in the last cup.
Place dough in a HUGE well oiled bowl, oil the top of the dough.
Let it rise 90 minutes, punch down and rise again for another 90 minutes.
Divide dough into thirds. Shape into loaves, place them into greased loaf pans. Let rise 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 27-35 minutes. Butter tops and cool on a wire rack. Loaves keep for 1 week...if they last that long!
Mmmmm....all I need know is some fresh butter!
Thanks Annette for passing on this wonderful recipe.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! maybe it's a little early and my brain isn't on yet but I'm confused. When do you mix the 1st bowl with the 2nd bowl with the 5C flour?

    I've never made regualar bread from scratch before, can ya tell? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mix the bowls together after they are cooled and before you add the flour. Bread from scratch is easier than you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOH This sounds heavenly! With the cold weather coming, I think this will have to make my kitchen all warm and good-smelling! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails