Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday Devotions - Gray Hair is a Crown of Splendor

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31


I recently had a new follower on my blog, the Old Geezer. The header of Mr. Old Geezer's blog contains this quote, "Do not resent growing old....many are denied the privilege." That really struck me. Many are denied the privilege.

It seems to me that our society resents growing old. We dye our hair, get Botox injections and plastic surgery all in order to fight to keep our youthful appearances. What is so great about youth really? Okay the young have lots more energy but as I grow older I look back on my youth and realize how stupid I was! The Bible tells us that age is to be respected. I shudder to think of all the wonderful experiences I would have missed if I were stuck in my 20's.

Every Sunday Yap sits in the back pew of church with 4 or 5 elderly men all in their 70's or 80's. These old men relish my little boy's presence. Yap sings and prays with them while they gently guide him in his behavior during service. These men hold a crown of experience reflected in their gray hair that they are passing along to my children. How blessed!

Gray hair is attained by a life of righteousness the Bible tells us. There are many things we can learn from those "gray hairs" around us if we take the time to ask and listen. How I wish for just a few more hours with my grandparents who have passed away; there is so much I should have asked them. Remember too that those gray hairs popping up on your head (and most definitely mine) are a symbol of life experiences. Gray hairs shouldn't be feared but celebrated as a crown of splendor from God.

Dear God, Thank You for Old Age! It is a blessing and thank You for reminding me that it isn't to be feared but celebrated. Amen!



2 comments:

  1. I don't have too many gray hairs, but I do put a bit of color on it just because I have a child in kindergarten. ACK! I do think with age comes wisdom, and I like the idea of your new follower that we have to enjoy our time that so many will never see. I'm just going to do it with a bit of color in my hair ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know I needed an attitude adjustment?? ( I am still going to highlight my hair!) Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails