Friday, November 5, 2010

Foody Friday - Ratatouille

Have you seen the movie Ratatouille?

It's a pretty cute movie about a rat who likes to cook and helps out a hopeless chef in a Paris restaurant. For the most part I loved this movie, but the scene where hundreds of rats are scurrying through the kitchen at night made me shiver....I don't care if they DID wash their hands. EEWWW!

So in the movie Little Rat Chef fixes up the dish Ratatouille. It looked yummy to me but of course Pixar can make anything look good can't they? Well, except for a herd of rats crawling over grapes and cheese; they couldn't pull that one off. Purse Gurl left her Culinary Cookbook from Johnson and Wales at my house (or maybe it just slipped out of her bags when she was packing...whoops) and I found a recipe for Ratatouille! I couldn't resist. A dish full of vegetables to eat all on my own because I really doubt anyone in my family will be too interested in it.

Ratatouille!

Olive oil
onions
garlic
tomatoes
eggplant
zuchinni
green beans
tomato sauce (unseasoned)
salt
pepper

Dice up all your veggies. Now it would have much better if I'd had fresh green beans and tomatoes but canned worked really well too.

Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute onions until they are clear. Add the rest of the veggies and saute for about 5 more minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and season. Pssst...go easy on the salt because the veggies will quickly absorb the flavor.

Then stick it in a 350 degree oven until veggies are tender, 30-40 minutes.

This tasted even better than it looked! I had two heaping servings. And guess what! Yip, my picky eater, even said it was good!! Jackpot!!

This is a recipe I think any combination of veggies could be used. Peppers, corn, peas...whatever floats your boat. I'm thinking next time of adding some ground sausage before I put it in the oven. The possibilities are endless!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this stuff! We used to make it in French class, and I think we even snuck a bit of wine in it for that "Ooo la la" effect! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for giving me links to vegetarian foods that you've made - it's great appreciated! :)

    I'm not a huge fan of eggplant, but given that I'm trying a whole bunch of other things, I might as well be brave and try this as it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails