Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Devotions - I have plans for you.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

If you had asked me ten years ago to list my plans or goals for my future I probably would have come up with something like this.

1. Teaching art and coaching at the same middle school where I was.

2. Travel a bit, maybe a road trip with my sisters.

3. Buy my first house and make it into a home I could live in for many years to come.

4. Married? We'll see..

5. Run a marathon.


A friend of mine recently posted this verse from Jeremiah on his Facebook page and it got me thinking about how my plans and God's plans had differed in the last ten years.

Here's what God had in store for me in the last ten years.

1. Get married and before you can blink, BAM! get ready for twins...100% wild boys, by the way!

2. Spend my life with a hardworking, caring and ambitious man who makes me feel like the most beautiful woman everyday.

3. Move around the country every couple of years in order to meet some of the wisest, kindest people who have nurtured me and my relationship with God. As well as seeing God's beautiful creations found in this country.

4. Nurture, teach and love three of the most unique personalities I've ever met in my children by being a stay at home mom.

5. Run a couple half marathons.

You know what? I think God's plans were better than mine. Scratch that, I know God's plans were better than mine. Geez, I'm glad he's in charge and I'm not. Who know's what kind of mess I'd be in if I planned my future rather than God. It's not that my plans were or are bad. Maybe God knows it wasn't then or isn't now the time for me to teach or run a marathon or do all the other things I had in mind ten years ago.

For I know the plans I have for you.....plans to prosper you and not to harm you...

Indeed, what comforting words! God will take care of us and he will open or shut doors for opportunities that we need or don't need....no matter what our feeble human plans may hold. It's much easier to be flexible in this life knowing that God cares for us and wants us to prosper.

Dear God, You are in charge in my life. Thank You for caring for me and looking out for my well being. Thank You for giving me what I needed rather than what I wanted. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. i love your devotions..i know i have said that before.but thanks for linking up...maybe a few more readers will get to read it.
    oh and i found my blog design over at http://www.leeloublogs.blogspot.com/

    she has free templates or backgrounds..that is where i got the one i have now..put she also had premade blog designs.
    i love love love the Breezy one...it just screams ME! But money is a little tight arond this household right now..so I don't think hubby would be happy if i spend $20 on a blog design.
    go check them out...alot of them are REALLY cute!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails