Friday, March 23, 2012

Foody Friday - Dakota Bread and a star rating from DR.

I found this recipe on an app on my phone. I've made egg bread before but I was intrigued at using cottage cheese in bread. It's sweet like egg bread but a bit more substantial than other egg bread recipes I've tried. I just love the golden color too! 

After last week's Cabbage Casserole that DR sneered at, he suggested that any more recipes I post should be rated by all members of our family, out of a possible 5 stars. He thinks that I find all these "wonderful" recipes that I find on the Internet are all posted by mothers who just "love them" but have family members who can't possibly choke them down. 

Whatever...men and their theories. 

Anyway, to the bread!! 



Dakota Bread

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 T of canola oil
1 egg
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup honey
1 t. salt
2 to 2 1/2 cups bread flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup rye flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
cornmeal
1 egg white

Sprinkle yeast in warm water. Stir to dissolve. 

IN a large bowl, mix oil, egg, cottage cheese, honey and salt. Add dissolved yeast and 2 cups bread flour, beating until flour is moistened. Gradually stir in whole wheat flour, rye flour and oats, plus enough bread flour to make a soft dough. 

On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl, cover loosly with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

Punch down dough. Shape into one round loaf. Place in a greased glass pie pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. 

Brush with egg white an sprinkle with wheat flour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If loaf is becoming too dark, cover loosely with foil that last 10-15 minutes of baking. Remove from pie pan and cool on a wire rack. 


So, to the rating of the Dakota Bread I made this week. 
I give it a 4. It was sweet and a nice treat but not a bread I'd want to eat everyday. Yip and Yap both gave this 5 stars! Drumroll please......DR gave it 3 stars; he couldn't get past the sweet taste. Granted he also considers store bought white bread a 4 1/2 star food. I'd give plain white bread 1 star for  taste and 5 stars as a coaster for my coffee cup. I'm thinking DR doesn't have taste buds anymore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails