Friday, May 18, 2012

Foody Friday - Colcannon (Potato) Puffs

I love potatoes. I totally could have been Irish and eaten potatoes every day at every meal. I read, in The Irish Americans: A History, that before the Great Potato Famine (1845-1852) that the average Irish child consumed 5 pounds of potatoes a day! Just a child!! An adult consumed more! 

Anyway, back to food. I love potatoes and I always prepare too much of any kind of potato dish I make and am never short of leftover potatoes...usually mashed. 


But...I've found a yummy way to use up those extra mashed potatoes without resorting to simply throwing them back in the microwave. 

(Colcannon is a traditional name for an Irish potato dish) 

a couple cups of leftover mashed potatoes
a cup or so of spinach, cut or torn into small pieces
1t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder 
1/2 t. thyme
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. milk
2 T. corn starch

Preheat oven to 425. Combine all the ingredients and stir well. Using a well rounded tablespoon, form into balls. Place them on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully turn over and bake for 20 more minutes until lightly browned. 



Potatoes, potatoes....I could eat em' all day long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails