Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sunday Devotions - God's presence

My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. Exodus 33:14

As you read this my family and I are probably driving somewhere. This Thanksgiving week we ventured out on the trip from Indiana to Kansas. Although I have been looking forward to going home for weeks, I can't say that I've been too fired up about the actual 900 mile trip to get there. 

I don't mind road trips....by myself, but traveling with three kids can be exhausting; keeping them entertained and preventing insanity within the confines of a car. No matter how nice the hotel, I never seem to get any rest and then, of course, the constant traveling from one destination to the next really zaps my energy. 

I'm grumbling about a six day trip. No wonder the Israelites complained...their trip lasted 40 years!! Can you imagine the kids on that trip? How would Israelite parents answer the question, "Are we there yet?" 

I think the most exhausting thing about road trips are the unknowns and the idea that we are all alone on the road. In the case of delays or problems, there often aren't friends or family close enough to call for help. But God's presence is with us all the time. God was with the Israelites the whole time, though they often forgot. Our family has been praying for God's presence and protection on this trip for at least a week. Although we're not on the road as I write this I've felt much calmer as I've prepared for this trip. Already I'm comforted that no matter what occurs God will always be by my side to protect my family and I. Just thinking of God's presence, no matter where I am, brings peace of mind. 

Is God walking or riding with you today? 

Today, dear Jesus, my feet will carry me to many places. I treasure your presence, and I long for the rest only you can give. Work in me....Amen. (God's Promises to a Woman's Heart)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails