Monday, March 14, 2011

Marker Monday - Rainbow Rice

We dyed rice last week and it has been the best toy!

I threw about a 1/2 cup of rice in a plastic container and added a few drops of rubbing alcohol and a few drops of food coloring and shook it up. Then I laid it out on a cookie sheet for about 1/2 hour until it dried.
I found quite a few recipes for this online but using the rubbing alcohol worked the best.

I lay a plastic tablecloth on the floor and supplied the cups, scoops and spoons and Yahoo went at it.
Rainbow Rice kept her busy for an hour!

The only problem with Rainbow Rice is the fact that Yip, Yap and Yahoo don't like to share and my rice supply is running low. It's not often I can find something that all three of my kids like to play with.


6 comments:

  1. must.hide.this.post.from.payton. :)

    Never heard of dying rice before! My pour kids have only ever played with plain white rice. Neat idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love that idea! What fun, especially for a rainy day! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you can recycle it into rice bags that you freeze and/or heat in the microwave for ouchies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like FUN! I'll make sure i'll tell my mommy blogging friends!

    Thanks
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making this today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails