Friday, March 25, 2011

Foody Friday - Peanut Butter Granola


I pulled this recipe out of a magazine years ago and I used to make it all the time. However, I had totally forgotten about it until DR requested some the other day. But I didn't have all the ingredients so I changed it up a bit and it worked out great.

The Original
Yummy Peanut Butter Granola

3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 c. canola oil
1 c. honey
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c. raisins

Preheat oven to 300. Grease a 13X9 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, combine oats, peanuts, wheat germ, coconut, cinnamon and salt. in a small saucepan over low heat, combine the oil, honey and peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until the mixture is completely combined - don't allow to simmer. Pour the warm peanut butter mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread the granola on prepared pan and bake 30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool, then break into chunks. Transfer to airtight container suitable for storage; add raisins and mix until combined.

How I changed it;

3 cups oats
1/4 c. ground flax seed
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c. chopped pecans
(I just happened to have them on hand and tossed em' in.)
NO COCONUT!
lots of cinnamon (I didn't measure)
1/2 t. salt
1 cup oil
1 cup honey
1 cup of chunky peanut butter
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. raisins or dried cranberries

I followed the instructions as above until I came to melting the peanut butter. I had mixed it in a small bowl and forgot I was supposed to put it on the stove. I popped it in the microwave for 30 second intervals and it worked just fine. I spread my granola on a cookie sheet and roasted it. Mine took closer to an hour to finish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails