Friday, September 17, 2010

Foody Friday - Wrastlin' Sue's Calico Bean Bake!!!!

I love, love, love church potluck dinners! It's a time for women (and men) and show off their culinary skills with their signature dish! The fact that we've moved so many times, I've been exposed to some fabulous dishes. Mary's Donuts, Cary's Caramel Corn, Grandma's Chicken and Noodles. But the one I miss the very most is Wrastlin's Sue's Beans!

Okay Sue is not a wrestler. Sue is a grandma, with kids my age, who attends our old church back in Illinois. She was a fantastic babysitter for me! Every time she'd come over she would bring her son's old wrestling figurines for Yip and Yap to play with. Think He-Man and all those good toys from the 80's. My kids loved Sue and miss her dearly!

Anyhow, back to the beans. Our new church had a potluck dinner last weekend and there were beans....but they just weren't Sue's! So, bless her heart, Sue sent me her recipe. God love her! God would love her beans too!

Okay, I know this is a lousy picture and doesn't nearly do justice to the beans. But trust me...make this dish and no other beans will ever be good enough again!


Wrastlin' Sue's Calico Bean Bake

1/2 pd hamburger browned with
1 chopped onion
...Then mix in the following:
8 cut up slices of bacon (sometimes I will cook this when I cook the hamburger & onion)
1 can pork & beans
1 can lima beans (drained)
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1/2 c catsup
1 tsp salt
3/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp dried mustard
2 tbl vinegar
1/2 sugar
350 degrees 40min-1 hr 9x13 pan or a bean pot

1 comment:

  1. Tall Guy LOVES baked beans, but me...not so much. May have to break down and make some of these for him. Have a great, safe weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails