Friday, March 12, 2010

"Pot of Gold" (Pun intended)

Welcome to Foody Friday!

I have to say, this soup turned out so much better than I was ever expecting. I literally just threw everything in without much thought. I do that a lot...usually it ends up with a meal my family rejects. But this one? I hit Gold! (Sorry for the pun...again!) Perfect timing too since St. Patrick's Day is upon us!

Here's what you'll need;
1 16 oz. bag of yellow split peas
4-5 diced potatoes
1 can of corn
about 1 cup of diced chicken breast
2 cans of chicken broth
salt/pepper/lemon pepper seasoning/parsley
butter
olive oil



I bought this bag of yellow split peas at the grocery because it was on sale...and because I didn't know there were yellow split peas. Yip refuses to eat pea soup and I thought I might be able to sneak this by him.



I let the peas soak in my cast iron Dutch oven for about 12 hours. I love cast iron by the way!

Dice up the chicken and toss it into a Ziploc bag. Add the lemon pepper seasoning and parsley, a couple teaspoons each. I didn't really measure...I'm rebellious like that. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil into the skillet, add the chicken and brown.

Toss the peas, potatoes, corn and chicken into the crock pot and cover with chicken broth. Set at low for 8-10 hours. (I set it on high for a couple hours with the intention of setting it on low before I left the house. I forgot...and it was on high for about 5 hours and it turned out really well.The peas had cooked down to a nice thick consistency.) Before serving add a couple tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper to taste.



I love the color of this soup! So bright! The picture really doesn't do it justice by the way. Perfect pot of gold! The boys thought it a great joke when I told them leprechauns had visited our house.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy! By the way, I think you're doing a great job with this blog! I check it almost everyday!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails