Friday, March 5, 2010

Ham, Potatoes and Green Beans


This is one of my favorite dishes to make for my family because it is simple, everyone enjoys it and there are always leftovers for lunch the next day. This is an especially good dish to prepare in the summer with fresh green beans from your garden or local farmers market.

I fill my Dutch oven (a large soup pot will work) with a quart of green beans, four or five diced potatoes and as much diced up ham as I have on hand. I've also made this dish with cooked ground sausage in place of the ham. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, I turn the heat to low and season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 45 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Serve warm with bread and butter. If I am feeling particularly ambitious I make up some cornbread to serve with it!

I almost didn't post this recipe because it is so easy. Surely everone knows about this dish right? I mean, my mom fixed this all the time for our family growing up. However I've never known anyone else to make it! Is it just a farm family thing? How about you? Have you ever made this before? Or is this new to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails