Friday, April 30, 2010

This garden is NOT going as planned!

GGGRRRR!!! What a year to try to garden! My whole plan went out the window when we decided to move to Kansas. I don't know what I'm doing anymore.  

Usually we rent a big rear tine tiller on some Saturday and work up our garden plots twice before we plant. But since DR has been busy tying up loose ends on Saturdays and the weather hasn't been cooperating, the storm clouds are rolling in as I type, I attempted to get to work on my own this week during the good days.

This is one garden plot. See the green stuff? Yeah, those are weeds. I probably should have done something about those last fall. I'm not the BEST gardener folks.


For the last two years we've planted two garden plots; beans, peas, cucumbers, carrots, sunflowers, black beans, radishes, onions, tomatoes, sweet corn, popcorn, potatoes, spinach, lettuce, pumpkins, zuchinni. I think that's all. One plot is over there near the grain bin. See it? The one with the tree stump is closest to the house.

This year, since we are moving and I don't know when, I'm only putting in a small garden in the plot closest to the house. It measures about 36' x 36'.


I attempted to work it all up with this little $100 tiller that we usually reserve for weeding between the rows. It worked long enough for me to get a spot measuring about 20' x 27' worked up. But then it broke!! See the handle thing you pull to start the engine? Well, it stopped working. It doesn't spring back and now I don't have a workable tiller. So I resorted to putting in seeds in what I'd already worked up. So far only small rows of carrots, peas, beans, radishes and cucumbers have been planted.


Did I mention it was REALLY windy today too? Gusts of 30 mph or so. Do you know how hard it is to plant carrot seeds in wind gusts?

My poor hollyhocks may get blown over.

I was so mad at this point, wind and a broken tiller, I mixed up a double batch of chocolate chip cookies and ate a big giant spoonful....or five.....okay, I didn't count how much I ate. Don't judge me people, I'm a grumpy gardener.

Of course, it hasn't been all bad today. When she wasn't digging up my seeds, Yahoo was enjoying the dirt.


She even took a big mouthful....good for her!


And Yap volunteered to cut spinach for dinner all by himself. I was so proud of him! He was eating big handfuls as he went!


I know what you are thinking.

"Prairie Mother, aren't you just starting a garden today? Where did that spinach come from?"

Well, it grew from spinach that went to seed last fall. See? I told you I'm not that good of a gardener! Dinner for the grumpy gardener tonight will be spinach and chocolate chip cookies. Care to join me?

2 comments:

  1. I'll be there in 20 minutes (give or take a few hours)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll save you the spinach...I can't guarantee the cookies!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails