Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Remembering Who I Was...And Who I Am...

Before I became a stay at home mom (SAHM) I was an independent young art teacher. Not so young anymore and as many SAHM's have come to realize, sometimes it's hard to remember a life before diapers, runny noses and schlepping kids around. Kids, as much as I love em', totally consume your life until there is time for little else. Then one day, if you are anything like me, you realize you have split personalities and they are conversing with one another.

I'm an artist!!
Oh, really? When was the last time you drew/painted/sculpted anything?
Uuummm.....
Yeah, that's what I thought....
Wait! I made that small sculpture of the horse, remember?
Yep, I remember..it was made out of play dough and you made it for your son's cowboys to ride.
Well, what about.....
No, that doesn't count either.
But, but...I'm an artist!
Whatever!!

Man those voices are starting to get distracting! Anyway, my original point...sometimes us SAHM's have a hard time remembering or finding the time for all those things we used to do before we had kids. I just wanted to share a little corner of my world with you today that reminds me of who I was...and who I am.

I have a large easel with a large drawing sketchbook set up in one corner of my bedroom. My wonderful husband bought it for me a few months ago. It doesn't take up a lot of space but I see it as soon as I walk in the room. I can't ignore it...it stares me down when I enter.  It is my little space to create whatever I wish.


And I wished to draw an alligator in pastels. I've been working on it for a few weeks. It's a bit different than what I would normally do but I'm happy with it.

 My little corner takes me back to who I was and who I'll always be....no matter what the voices in my head say!! Do you have a "corner"? What's it like? What do you do there? I'd love to hear from other SAHM's.

3 comments:

  1. Mine is the corner of the basement with all my scrapbooking stuff. I think I went down there sometime last year. Although I do think about it often.

    **Yes, I know my google account says Jester5. It was created before Ella. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool picture! I used to play the piano ALL the time, now it sits downstairs untuned and unused. I need to get it tuned so I can get these rusty fingers playing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is really beautiful. You exercise your creative muscle everyday with your children! That is really something. You were such a wonderful teacher to me and now you have become a teacher to the most important people in the world. Maybe who you were and who you are now are the exact same people, just with different priorities. Your art just comes in different forms... play dough, pastels... it's irrelevant as long as you are having fun and being yourself! Keep the corner alive!

    -e

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails