Monday, June 25, 2012

Marker Monday - Chorin' with Connie


We have a friend who lives about 5 miles out of town that raises bucket calves that are born on the feed lots out here. Cowboys can't be bothered with a bunch of newborns on a feed lot so our friend Connie weans them and then sells them at the sale barn. 


 A few times this summer the kids and I have headed out to her place early in the mornings to help chore. 




I grew up on a little 40 acre farm doing chores every morning, summer and winter, and though I grumbled a lot about chores when I was a kid I sure miss them now. I wish my kids were farm kids. 


They enjoy helping and they are good hard workers. And I think it's good for them to get out and see animals up close and messy, not just at the zoo or a county fair. 




I'm sure Connie could get her chores done quicker without us around but she sure is gracious by letting my kids have this great experience. 





Calf #47 is a sucker and my kids love sticking their fingers in his mouth! 


It's good too for them to learn not to act scared of large animals. Most of the time there is more to fear from smaller animals...even cattle. 


I'd call myself an accidental town girl. I love living in the country and I sure miss it, mess and all that it can be. Ah well, who knows what's in my future. Maybe I'll get out to the country again someday. Till then thank goodness for Connie who is willing to share her messy chores with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails