Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Devotions -


Here's a little piece of verse that carries a wise message:

If your lips you would keep from slips, 
Five things observe with care:
Of whom you speak, to whom you speak, 
And how and when and where.
I don't know who wrote this rhyme, but he or she may have been reading a verse in the Bible that says, "Be...slow to speak" (James 1:19). All of us have had the experience of saying something and immediately wishing we hadn't. But words, once spoken, are gone forever. And if they were hurtful or unwise words, our regret is all the more real.

Heeding the Bible's advice to choose our words carefully will keep us from feeling that sting of regret. Better yet, it will nurture our efforts to speak helpfully and lovingly into the lives of others. 

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. Colossians 4:6


1 comment:

  1. After this year's fair, I am surprised I have any part of my tongue left, but I really tried to only let the nice words out. There was one particular pot-stirring person, though, who should be especially grateful of my efforts to control my words. 'nuf said ;-)

    Enjoy your time with your folks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails