Friday, November 9, 2012

Foody Friday -Sesame Pumpkin Bread

I was craving some pumpkin bread this week and though Google found thousands of recipes none of them sounded quite right. I didn't want anything too cake like or too sweet. Finally I dusted off some cookbooks in the upper cabinets of my kitchen. 

Is it just me or does everyone else find that with the internet using actual cookbooks has gone by the wayside. Maybe it's just me but since my computer is in my kitchen I tend to search Google rather than Betty Crocker. 

I pulled this cookbook out;

Homemade - How To Make Hundreds Of Everyday Products You Would Otherwise Buy

Homemade - How To Make Hundreds Of Everyday Products You Would Otherwise Buy


and found a recipe for Sesame Pumpkin Bread. It was totally different than I expected a pumpkin bread recipe to be. It wasn't sweet or cake like. It wasn't a yeast bread but not a quick bread either. And there were no spices!



Sesame Pumpkin Bread 

4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. plus 2 T milk
1 egg
1 c. pumpkin puree
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 T sesame seed (I omitted this) 

Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly grease and flour a baking sheet. IN a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 

In a medium bowl, combine 1 c. milk and the egg; beat until well blended. Stir in teh pumpkin puree and butter. Make a well in the centr of the dry ingredients; pour the pumpkin mixture and, using a fork, stir until all the ingredients are well blended. 

Lightly flour a work surface. Turn out the dough onto the work surface and knead lightly until the dough is smooth, 4-5 minutes. Shape the dough into a round loaf and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross over the top of the loaf. Brush lightly with the remaining 2 T. milk. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds. 

Bake the loaf 25 minutes; reduce the heat to 375 and bake until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 15 minutes longer. Remove the loaf to a wire rack to cool. 

Makes 1 loaf. 


Yum! I just love that golden yellow color! The loaf turned out huge with a hard crust on the outside but soft on the inside. I liked the flavor, just subtle pumpkin. Though I was craving just a touch of cinnamon. 


So I whipped up some honey butter with a dash of pumpkin pie spice and slathered that on. Ah...heaven!! 

This weekend, if I have any of this bread left I plan on making french toast from it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! 

Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe?? I'd love to try something new with pumpkin. 


1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails