Saturday, November 24, 2012

Art Nights, NO TV!

We have instituted a new rule in our house this school year which is "No TV on School Days". That means no television before school or after school or in the evenings. I must admit I was a bit worried how this would work. Last year I'd regularly allow tv watching while I was making dinner but it never failed to turn into a big fight. "Just one more Mom!" or "It's ALMOST over!". Every school night was full of arguments. I was imagining there would be a lot fights over tv once school started but those only lasted about a week. 

This school year of no television has been so stress free, it's unbelievable! The boys don't even ask to watch television during the week. They do REALLY look forward to Friday nights though when they know they get movie night. Of course the lack of arguments might also have something to do with another change we've made in our school week routine; ART NIGHT.  After dinner on Wednesday nights the kids and I started meeting around the dinner table to do some kind of art. Some nights we would have a theme. For example, in October we did some creepy, scary art. Another week the boys wanted to do something with clay but most nights it's an art free for all. They can do any kind of artwork, painting drawing, building, Legos, as long as it's art. 





Lately though art night has kind of branched out into whatever night they want to do stuff. Which is GREAT! The kids know that television is off limits during the school week but the art supplies aren't. We go through a LOT of paper and a LOT of tape and we make LOTS of messes but I'm really okay with that. 






Yip even had a night where he came up with costumes for his thumb! These were outfits for his thumb "wrestler"! LOL!! 



I've been so happy with how the boys creativity and imagination, problem solving and analytical skills have seemed to blossom this year and I think it has a lot to do with limiting tv and never running dry on art supplies. 



Aren't making messes great?! 

4 comments:

  1. We failed on trying the no TV on schooday week! Congrats to you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we first moved to Africa we had no TV at all. We could only watch movies on our computer. Movie nights were once a week and very much looked forward to. I really appreciated how much time this gave my kids to be creative. You won't regret it.

    P.S You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Amy! I've enjoyed our TV-less time so much. We've spent a lot of time playing games recently...though my 8 year old stomped me in Monopoly the very first time he played!! LOL

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails