Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Devotions - "What's This?"


If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5


I'm fortunate enough to live on the same block as my children's school and Yahoo's babysitter. This makes it very convenient for me to do some substitute teaching once or twice a week. I miss being a teacher and most of the time feel as though I'm able to impart a bit of wisdom to the students; except for when I substitute for Spanish and Trigonometry then I'm clueless. But this week I was asked a question by a child that really had me stumped.





I wear this cross necklace every day and while subbing at a preschool this week full of four and five year olds one little boy asked, "What's that?" while pointing at my necklace.


"It's Jesus' cross." I answered.


Not satisfied he asked, "But why do you wear it?" After this question I was aware that many of the little children were quietly awaiting my answer. I was getting more nervous as the seconds ticked by. This was more nerve racking than talking sex education to high school kids.


Why do I wear my cross? How do I answer the depth that question requires in a manner preschoolers will understand? I couldn't just brush this little boy's inquiry aside because this was a chance to minister to a ready and open heart, to a child I knew didn't know God or Jesus.


At that moment I felt very lacking in wisdom. I thought slowly and answered carefully, praying silently that my words had been well chosen.


"I wear this cross to remind me everyday that God loves us all so much that He sent us Jesus so we can live with Him in Heaven someday."


My answer could have been much longer and more detailed of course but hopefully the very essence of the meaning of the Cross was expressed. Wisdom doesn't always come from words in books but rather which words we choose to share with others.


Dear Heavenly Father, Grant me wisdom today. Wisdom to say the right thing, at the right time, to the right person. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails