Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Devotions - Minimize

A Prayer to God; "I've asked you for two things. Don't keep them from me before I die: Keep vanity and lies far away from me. Don't give me either poverty or riches. Feed me only the food I need, or I may feel satisfied and deny you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or I may become poor and steal and give the name of my God a bad reputation." Proverbs 30: 7-9


It's just the first week of 2012 and you know what that means...RESOLUTIONS! 


Have you made any? Eating healthier? Working out more often? Those are usually the biggies aren't they? 


Usually I don't make resolutions but this year I've given some thoughts to a couple of different goals I'd like to work on. First, I'd like to paint a mural for someone else, in their home or in a church or business. Secondly, I want to minimize stuff. So far I'm off to a rocking start! I've gone through half the house (not including the kitchen, I'm saving that for last) and cleaning and purging and just getting rid of stuff. Clothes that don't fit, audio tapes (who even has a tape deck in their car anymore!) toys, books...just stuff that has come in and cluttered my life! I've already gotten rid of a couple bags full of stuff. No photos though. I resolutely refuse to throw away photos...but anything else could go on the chopping block! 


It seems ironic how I spent November and December shopping and looking for stuff to give and now all I want to do is get rid of stuff. This stuff sure seems to get in the way of life, why do I think I need it all again?  I have to clean it, organize it, protect it...what a bunch of stress that doesn't seem to do anyone any good! 


Agur speaks in Proverbs asking for only what he needs because he may feel satisfied and deny the Lord. I am guessing Agur didn't have a STUFF issue to deal with. 


I think I need to amend my 2012 resolutions. I think #3 is to find satisfaction in God and not in stuff. Are you satisfied with filling your house with stuff or does God need to step in and fill your heart instead?


Father, we are like children asking for more toys from Santa. Once we get our stuff it merely clutters our lives and takes our attention from You. Bless me this year that I may find my satisfaction in You and You alone. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails