Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday Devotions - Grandpa's Bible

Back in the spring my grandfather passed away. I've written about my Grandpa Asa a few different times; his funeral, the long sad vacation, his western shows, and why I refuse to eat squash. The other day my mom sent me a box from Indiana with some late Christmas presents, magazines for my kids and a Bible that belonged to Grandpa Asa. Grandma auctioned off the house and the farm in November and Mom helped her out going through all of the stuff in the house. Grandpa had enough Bibles that my six brothers and sisters and I all received one of his Bibles and there were still some left over. 


I lived with Grandpa Asa while I was going to college. (Those four years with him were an adventure!)  I always remember Grandpa having a Bible sitting on the table next to his recliner. I never really thought much about it though. I mean, I never really looked to see if he had more than one Bible and I never thought to see what Bible translation he had. 

This one is the Living Bible. It's not a very old Bible, at least I don't consider it too old. The print date is 1973 but the cover is ready to fall off. He must have spent considerable years with this one if I judge by its cover. 


The pages are stained and yellowed. 


I even found where my cousin practiced writing her name. I sure hope her handwriting has improved because her last name sure isn't Goa. :) 


But throughout Grandpa's Bible he's noted various passages or chapters. This page makes me laugh because,until I saw it, I had forgotten what an awful speller my Grandpa was; Leviticus, Hebrews. I don't think he cared one way or another how things are spelled, he knew he'd get his point across. 


That page above with all those scripture references made me curious so I looked them up, or most of them anyway. I can't find a Isaiah 42-35. 

Leviticus; The Passover of the Lord, The Festival of Unleavened Bread, The Festival of First Fruits, The Festival of Pentecost, The Festival of Trumpets, The Day of Atonement, The Festival of Tabernacles

Hebrews 10; The old system of Jewish laws gave only a dim foretaste of the good things Christ would do for us. The sacrifices under the old system were repeated again and again, year after year, but even so they could never save those who lived under their rules. If they could have, one offering would have been enough; the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and their feeling of guilt would have been gone. But just the opposite happened; those yearly sacrifices reminded them of their disobedience and guilt instead of relieving their minds. For it is not possible for the blood of bulls and goats really to take away sins. 

John 8:20 Jesus made these statements while in the section of the Temple known as the Treasury. But he was not arrested, for his time had not yet run out. 

Romans 12:12 Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and prayerful always. 

Hebrews 12:12 So take a new grip with your tired hands, stand firm on your shaky legs, and mark out a straight, smooth path for your feet so that those who follow you, though weak and lame, will not fall and hurt themselves, but become strong. 

Matthew 12:38-39 One day some of the Jewish leaders, including some of the Pharisees, came to Jesus asking him to show them a miracle. But Jesus replied, "Only an evil, faithless nation would ask for further proof; and none will be given except what happened to Jonah the prophet! For as Jonah was in the great fish for three days and three nights, so I'm the Messiah, shall be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights. 

Matthew 14: 22-23 As they were eating, Jesus took bread and asked God's blessing on it and broke it in pieces and gave it to them and said, "Eat it- this is my body." Then he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it and gave it to them; and they all drank from it.

Isaiah 55:8 This plan of mine is not what you would work out, neither are my thoughts the same as yours. 


It makes me wonder what Grandpa was thinking of and pondering when he wrote those notations. When did he write in this Bible? Is it the one I remember on the coffee table? 

Though Grandpa and I sat and talked (okay, argued) about a lot of things, we never sat down and talked about our faith. I think partly because I never felt the need to question him. He faithfully went to church and was active in his congregation and community. He wasn't perfect, none of us are, but he tried his best when it came to his family. He had doubts, frustrations, triumphs, and joys like we all do. 

Dear Heavenly Father, I miss Grandpa. I wish I had realized when I was younger that I should have talked to him more about anything, everything. It's a comfort though to know that he and I have read the same words. We have the same Savior. We have the same Home. Thank You for the wisdom of the generations. Thank You for this Bible. Thank You for a role model like Grandpa. Amen. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If we can keep the good memories front and center, missing our loved ones isn't quite so hard.

      Delete
  2. My husband was giving his dad's Bible, minutes after he died -- it was in the hospital room, even though my father-in-law wasn't able to really read it those last few days. . .it's neat now as we flip to different scriptures and find little notes that we had previously missed.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails