Friday, March 1, 2013

Foody Friday - Mama's Bloody Mary Chili

I don't remember eating a lot of chili as a kid, maybe I did, who knows? I think I had more to worry about growing up than what I was eating....like beating my 6 brothers and sisters out for seconds! 

I DO know that once my brothers/sisters started getting husbands/wives it seemed like my mom always had a huge pot of chili whenever we brought home our significant others to visit. I guess it was the easiest way for my mom to feed a crowd. My brother in law even joked once that he was just sure that my mom had a huge cauldron of chili simmering away in her basement that was already ready at a moments notice because he always ate chili at her house! 

I've never been a huge chili eater but I've been trying to find a quick easy recipe for months that my kids and husband would actually eat. Finally DR just told me to ask my mom for her recipe because he always liked her chili. So Mom texted me her "recipe" if you can call it a recipe...I don't think my mother measures anything! (luv ya Ma!) 


Brown two pounds of hamburger and add as many chopped onions and peppers as you want. I also added some minced garlic. 


Meanwhile in the crockpot put in 1-53 oz. can of Brooks hot chili beans. (I didn't have a 53oz. can so I used two cans of black and two of kidney beans and added some chili powder, like a teaspoon maybe.)


Aaaahh, the secret ingredient!! 


Mix together the beans with the ground beef and add as much Bloody Mary Mix for the desired thickness.
I also added a can of diced tomatoes.  


Set on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours. 

Perfection!! I will never use another chili recipe because this one's a hit. Everyone eats it! DR likes it because it's full of meat, my kid's like it because it's not too spicy, I like it because they like it! 

The secret to perfect chili: Bloody Mary Mix...who knew???

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE making chili... never thought about adding bloody mary mix to it though... might have to try that the next time around!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I try to reply to every one of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails